Scottish festivals are fun events for family, with information on genealogy and heritage,
competitions for pipe bands, highland dance, heavy athletics, and fun pageantry. Find events
near you and clear your calendar for fun, fellowship, and family. Many festivals have a Clan
Bell tent where you can meet other Bells, get information on your heritage, or just rest and
relax for a while.
If you have Bell heritage, and you are not a member of Clan Bell North America yet, what are
you waiting for?
Scottish Festivals Calendar
There may be a Clan Bell tent at a Scottish festival near you. Come see the
pipe bands, highland dance competitions, and see the heavy athletic competitions
like the caber toss.
Learn more ...
Clan Bell Tents
There is a lot of fun at the Scottish festivals. Come see friends and
family to learn more about your heritage. Clan Bell needs volunteers to serve as staff
in our tents at Scottish games.
Clan Bell - North America has been approved by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) tax exempt
non-profit organization. Membership dues and gifts to CBNA are now tax deductible on
your federal taxes. Officers and commissioners doing the work of CBNA may also be able
to deduct certain expenses. As always, please consult with your local tax professional
to see how this change can best benefit you.
Learn more ...
April is Scottish-American Heritage Month
Celebrate your Scottish-American heritage by visiting the Clan Bell tent at Scottish games near you, buying our affordable Bell of the
Borders kilt, and joining Clan Bell North America. If the CBNA calendar does not currently go to a games near you, please contact us to help us
support those games.
Upcoming Scottish Games for Clan Bell
- Mar 19 Myrtle Beach Highland Games & Heritage Festival - Myrtle Beach, SC
- Mar 19-20 [Need CBNA Rep] - Arizona Scottish Gathering - Phoenix, AZ
- Apr 2 [Need CBNA Rep] - Cape Fear Highland Games - Wilmington, NC
- Apr 2 [Need CBNA Rep] - Dunedin Highland Games - Dunedin, FL
- Apr 9 New York Tartan Day Parade - New York, NY
- Apr 8-10 Arkansas Scottish Festival - Lyon College, Batesville, AR
- Apr 9-10 Colorado Tartan Festival - Longmont, CO
- Apr 2 [Need CBNA Rep] - Tartan Day - Ardenwood Farm, Fremont, CA
- Apr 16-17 Celtic Gathering & Highland Games - Las Vegas, NV
- Apr 16-17 Loch Norman Highland Games - Rural Hill, Huntersville, NC
- Apr 23-24 [Need CBNA Rep] - Sacramento Valley Scottish Games - Woodland, CA
- Apr 29-May 1 [Need CBNA Rep] - Iron Thistle Scottish Festival - Yukon, OK
- Apr 30 [Need CBNA Rep] - Southern Maryland Celtic Festival - Prince Frederick, MD
- May 6-7 [Need CBNA Rep] - Savannah Scottish Games - Savannah, GA
- May 6-7 Triad Highland Games - Greensboro, NC
Explaining the Facts About Clans and Septs
The Court of The Lord Lyon Clarifies Sept and Clan Issues
The Lyon Court answers the question of "who is a member of a clan?"
with the statement:
"Every person who has the same surname as the chief is deemed to be a member of the clan." This means that if you or
an ancestor has the last name Bell or one or the various spellings of Bell, you are deemed by the Lyon Court to be a member of
Clan Bell. Some confusion has been created by a few clans who claim many family names as "septs" of their clan.
The Lyon Court clears up the issues on septs by stating:
"There is no official list of recognised septs. This is a matter for each chief to determine. But where a particular
sept has traditionally been associated with a particular clan it would not be appropriate for that name to be treated
by another clan chief as one of its septs."
Lists of septs include whatever families a clan chief wants to add, so the Lyon Court found it necessary to point
out that it is not appropriate for clan chiefs to claim septs that were already a sept to another clan.
Even though Clan Bell is recognized as a clan by the Lyon Court and has a long history as an independent clan, some other
clans try to claim Bell as a sept of their clan.
Sir Crispin Agnew of Lochnaw Bt., an officer of the Lyon Court, noted that
"It should also
be said that the various Sept lists, which are published in the various Clans and Tartan books, have no official authority.
They merely represent some person's, (usually in the Victorian eras) views of which name groups were in a particular clan's
Do not let others' claims and confusion keep you from your rich heritage as a member of Clan Bell.
Kilts in Bell of the Borders Acrylic Tartan
Show your pride in being part of Clan Bell with this attractive kilt.
For only $69 each, or $89 with a one year membership in Clan Bell North America,
it is affordable to have the entire family in these attractive kilts. Learn more ...
Clan Bell Magnets
These magnetic decals, with a border revier on horseback or with the Clan Bell badge,
can be an attractive item for any metal surface, like the door of a refrigerator or car.
Learn more ...